Close Menu

Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions - Motor Carrier Services


International Registration Plan (IRP)

  • Who needs an IRP?

    Any business entity operating a qualifying vehicle should register for  an International Registration Plan. A “qualifying” vehicle is any vehicle used or intended for use in two or more member jurisdictions, and:

    • Is a power unit having two axles and a gross vehicle weight, or registered gross vehicle weight, in excess of 26,000 pounds (11,793 kilograms); or
    • Is a power unit having three or more axles, regardless of weight; or
    • Is used in combination when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds (11,793 kilograms) gross vehicle weight or registered weight.
  • How can I get a 45-Day Temporary permit?

    After processing your transaction online and making the payment, you can print a 45-Day Temporary permit. Without payment, you can request a 45-Day Temporary permit for added vehicles and replacement plates only. All other transactions must be paid before you obtain the 45-Day Temporary permit.

  • I’m a first-time user of your IRP online service and I am trying to register my IRP account . What if I receive a message that says, “We did not match your records?”

    There may be several reasons why the system gave you this message. Keep the following tips in mind:

    • The name you entered in the search field should match your IRP cab card registration.
    • The account should reflect your Social Security number if you are a sole proprietor, and not your federal identification number (FEIN).
    • The system is case sensitive.

    If you are still receiving the message, you can call the MCS division at (317) 615-7340.

  • How can I reprint my cab card?

    In your IRP online service account, go to credentials and select your account information. Select transaction, unit, or plate number. You may sort by unit number, VIN number, plate number, or owner name. Click “Pay later/print” to reprint your cab card.

  • Is there a penalty for filing late on the renewal and, if so, how much and when is the deadline?

    The fee is ten percent of the Indiana apportion fees on the renewal bill. This fee will be charged on any renewal not paid by the 15th day prior to its staggered month. For example: if your renewal month is February, then your bill must be paid by January 15th.

  • I’m a service bureau. May I register as the account holder?

    As a service bureau, you cannot register yourself as the account holder. As a service bureau, you must send a valid Indiana Department of Revenue power of attorney form (POA-1) to the IRP unit of MCS. After the POA-1 is received and approved, the IRP unit will e-mail your username and password to you. If the service bureau represents additional accounts, you will need to send a POA-1 for each account and receive approval from the Department to be granted access to those accounts. You will only be issued one username and password.

  • Why is my IRP account suspended?

    If you processed a transaction within the last 21 days and did not submit the required documents to the IRP unit, your account will suspend. Any outstanding liabilities past 30 days will also cause your account to suspend.

    If you have any questions, please call our office at (317) 615-7340. You may also fax your documents to (317) 615-7310 for faster results.

  • Why don’t all of the states I entered in my renewal appear on my cab card?

    If you select all “Reported” mileage during the renewal process on the Internet, only Indiana will appear on your cab card. When processing your renewal you needed to select “Actual” or “Estimated” mileage for the correct mileage registration period. If you have already completed and paid for this transaction, please call the IRP unit for assistance at (317) 615-7340.

  • Why can’t I enter zero mileage in a state that I’ve not traveled in?

    You will need to select “Estimated” mileage to continue processing the renewal. Zero mileage is not acceptable.

  • May I transfer my plate to another vehicle?

    Yes, you may transfer your plate to the same vehicle type and the same vehicle weight. To transfer a plate, go to your IRP’s online service account and select the “Plate Transfer” transaction; otherwise, you will inadvertently select the wrong transaction type and purchase a new plate.

  • How much does it cost to add vehicles to my account?

    An “Estimator” can be found in your IRP’s online service account. This tool will prompt you to provide the information needed to give you an estimated cost.

Oversize/Overweight (OSW)

  • Do I need an Oversize/Overweight permit to move farm equipment?

    Farm vehicles that travel on any Indiana interstate road system need an OSW permit. Farm vehicles running only on a secondary road system are exempt from OSW permits.

  • How do I apply for permits electronically?

    Go to Indiana Motor Carrier Applications and select “Apply for an OSW Account.” Be sure to have your federal identification number (FEIN), or your Social Security number if you are a sole proprietor and have no FEIN. You must also know your USDOT number (if applicable).

    If you intend to apply for permits online, you must have a user ID and password. After you have established an Indiana account, you can register as a user. Go to Indiana Motor Carrier Applications and select “User Registration.” When you are registered and logged into your OSW account, you can order your permits online.

  • How do I know which routes are restricted?

    The Motor Carrier Services Web site offers a variety of information including a detour bulletin that shows all the restrictions and closures on Indiana roads as well as a posted bridge map that shows the bridge heights for every bridge in Indiana.

  • What are other ways, besides online, that I can request a permit?

    Mail or Walk In - Complete Form M-233 and mail or bring to:
    Motor Carrier Services
    Oversize/Overweight Vehicle Permitting
    7811 Milhouse Rd., Suite M
    Indianapolis, IN 46241

  • What is a “Superload”, and what does “preapproval” mean?

    A "Superload" is any load that exceeds 15 feet high, 16 feet wide, 110 feet long, and/or 120,000 pounds, or fails the overload analysis. Any load that fails the overload analysis must be reviewed by an Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) engineer. Loads that are reviewed by INDOT engineers require additional processing time. The new permitting system allows you to have the INDOT engineering analysis done ahead of time, before you need the permit, and receive a superload preapproval number. Once you have this preapproval number, you can get additional permits using the same vehicle configuration and route for the next 30 days without any additional INDOT analysis or delays.

  • How will I know when my permit is ready?

    There are two ways to know when your permit is available. The first is to log into the OSW online service account and click “My Recent Applications.” Here you will see your application number and its status. When the status is “Approved,” your permit is ready for payment and printing. The second way is to have an e-mail address on file with MCS. Each time one of your permits is approved, MCS will send you an e-mail notification. After you have received the e-mail message, you can log into the system and pay for and print your permit.

  • How do I know the status of my permit application?

    Log into your OSW online service account and click on “My Recent Applications.” You will then see all your recent permit applications and the status of each one, including any review needed by the Indiana State Police for escorting needs or review needed by an INDOT engineer.

    If the status is “Rejected,” click on OSW Home from the menu on the left. You will then see in the middle of your screen a section called “Our Rejected Applications.” Here you will see your application number; if you click on the number and scroll to the bottom of the permit summary, you will see the rejection reason.

  • How do I register for Special Weight Permits?

    Log into your OSW online service account and click on “Special Weight Vehicle Registration.” Select the year you are registering for and add your vehicle information, including the full Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). After you have added all your vehicles, you must pay the $25 registration fee before any Special Weight Permits can be ordered. Once you have entered and registered all your vehicles, you need to renew your Special Weight Registration annually. You can also add, edit or delete trucks at any time at no additional cost. To order a Special Weight Permit, your vehicle must be registered.

  • How do I obtain an Annual Toll Road Gate Permit?

    Log into your OSW online service account and click “Apply for Permit.” Select “Annual permit” for type of permit to be ordered. Then select “Toll Road Gate-Annual” from the list. You will complete the vehicle information section and select the gate numbers you need. You can then pay for and print your Toll Road Gate Permits. You will need to obtain only one permit for each truck (each permit can have multiple gates listed).


Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)

Base Plate Registration (BPR)

Motor Carrier Fuel Tax (MCFT) & International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)

MCS Online Services

Top Questions for Returning Users

News and FAQs

Top FAQs