Close Menu

Main Content

File an Amended Return

frustrated man

Did you make a mistake on your tax return? Don’t worry you can file an amended return with the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Amended Indiana state returns can be filed up to three years after the original due date or the date the tax was paid, whichever is later.

When you don’t need to file an amended return:

  • You don’t need to file an amended return to correct math errors. They will be corrected automatically. 
  • You don’t need to file an amended return if certain tax forms were not attached (W-2s, unless you are reporting additional income; schedules) as DOR will contact you if more information is needed.

When you do need to file an amended return:

  • You had a change in filing status.
  • You recorded an incorrect income amount.
  • Deductions or credits claimed are not correct.

Both state and federal forms may need to be filed including:

To ensure an amended return is complete DOR recommends:

  • Attaching other forms with changes—any other forms or schedules should be included with the IT-40X or 1040X form.
  • Waiting for your refund from the latest tax year before filing—Individuals who are due refunds from the original tax return filed for that tax year should wait to file an amended return to claim any additional refunds.
  • Paying additional tax as soon as possible—If the amended return shows more tax owed, individuals should pay the tax as soon as possible to avoid additional penalties and interest. Electronic payments for Indiana tax filings are accepted through DORpay or a payment plan can be set up with INTax Pay.  Information on payments and payment plans for federal filing can be found on the IRS website.

News and FAQs

Latest News

Click here to view more events

Top FAQs