On March 6, 2020, Governor Holcomb declared a public health emergency throughout the State of Indiana as a result of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
Click here to access the State of Indiana’s COVID-19 webpage.
Click here to access Governor Holcomb’s Executive Orders.
- Relaxing the able and available requirement for persons impacted by COVID-19. [Ind. Code § 22-4-14-3]
- Making work search optional and suspending in-person jobs counseling and training for persons receiving unemployment benefits. [Ind. Code §§ 22-4-14-2, 22-4-14-3; 646 IAC 5-9-3]
- Redirecting benefit charges for contributory employers to the pooled account ensuring that any benefits paid under temporary expanded interpretations are not charged directly to the employer and deducting 50% of benefit charges for reimbursable employers. [Ind. Code § 22-4-11-1; 646 IAC 5-2-6]
- Relaxing interpretation of “good cause in connection with the work” relating to separation from employment to best serve claimants out of work due to COVID-19. [Ind. Code § 22-4-15-1]
- Allowing late filing of unemployment benefits applications and weekly vouchers if the lack of timely filing is connected to COVID-19. [646 IAC 5-9-2]
- Permitting persons who take a voluntary leave of absence with the permission of their employer due to COVID-19 to continue accumulating unemployment benefit weeks. [646 IAC 5-8-2]
- Suspending the one-week waiting period before paying unemployment benefits to claimants retroactive to March 8, 2020, so claimants are eligible for benefits as soon as they become unemployed due to COVID-19. [Ind. Code § 22-4-14-4]
- Waiving penalties and interest for employers that file their Q1 2020 Quarterly Wage reports and contribution payments by May 31, 2020. [Ind. Code § 22-4-2-13, 646 IAC 5-2-1, 646 IAC 5-2-3, 646 IAC 5-2-4, 646 IAC 5-2-5]
For additional COVID-19 specific information, including actions taken by DWD in response to recent federal legislation, please visit https://www.in.gov/dwd/19.htm. FAQs are also available for both claimants and employers.